June 29, 2020
Carmen returned today (after two weeks caring for her parents) with a brief reflection the fifth commandment – which is the first commandment with a promise.
Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”
Paul is quoting Deuteronomy 5:16: “Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.”
The fifth commandment gets a fair amount of attention as we’re seeking to raise our kids. But the commandments don’t have an expiration date. We don’t graduate from them. Yes, the fullness of the law is fulfilled in Christ so those in Christ are no longer UNDER the law, but we continue to keep the commandments because we know God gives them for our good and His glory.
So, what does it mean to keep the 5th commandment as an adult?
- we are all children forever and always
- Honoring our parents is honoring to God – who is the perfect parent and never fails
- As we do unto them is multiplied in our own families and then into the society of which we are a part
Tim Keller says, “it’s respect for parents that is the basis for every other kind of respect and every other kind of authority.”
Carmen offered six practical ways to keep the 5th commandment as adults:
- Pray for them and with them (prayer, care, share)
- Forgive them and seek their forgiveness
- Speak well of them and speak to them
- Esteem them publicly and privately
- Seek their wisdom (and share the Gospel with them)
- Support them and provide for them
Carmen’s conversations in this episode are with Dr. Zach Jenkins about all things COVID19 and Dr. Adam Carrington about the Flynn proceedings, the failure of the Senate to advance Senator Tim Scott’s JUSTICE act on policing reform, and the waiting game with the Supreme Court. They also touch on the challenges President Trump is facing in his reelection bid.