If the world is a stage then who is sitting in the front row?December 7, 2015
It has been said that all the world is a stage and in our Flickr/Instagram culture your audience can span the globe. No longer do those watching need to inhabit the same physical space. It is now possible to have followers you’ve never led, fans you’ve never seen and Facebook friends you’ll never meet.
We all know we’re being watched in more than a lurky big-brother kind of way. Everyone we encounter, in both the physical and digital world, is watching what we say and do and how we say and do it.
So, mindful that others are even now watching the reality that is your life:
- Would they describe it to their friends as comedy, tragedy, parody, satire, drama, or horror story?
- Can they tell by watching you that your life follows a script written by the Author of salvation and animated by His Spirit?
- Do they hear His Word when they listen to you?
- Are they drawn to His character and love and redemptive plan through your life’s unfolding drama?
- As you respond to the circumstances of life, are those watching you catching glimpses of faith and trust and glory?
Let’s turn the scope of this conversation around for a moment.
From the perspective of the stage, as you look out into the audience, who is sitting in the front row? Who is close enough to the action that they are literally drawn into the action?
These are the people most at risk of being adversely affected by the show you’re putting on. They see it all. They know the hypocrisy. They know the missteps. They know when you miss a line. What goes unnoticed by the peanut-gallery can become the story line for those sitting in the front row.
Look for a moment at the souls who are sitting in the front row of your life.
Maybe tonight is a good time to add a scene of humble repentance. Or, maybe its a good time to turn the tables and sit for awhile watching them. If you’re not already, become a student of the people who know and love you best. What they will learn about you in the process will be a gift to you both as the scenes of life unfold together into the future.