Must Read Monday: Women in Ministry and Standing Up for the VulnerableAugust 6, 2018
Women in Ministry
When everyone is talking about women in ministry but no one is talking about it, it’s time to have the talk. Read these articles and ask yourself a series of questions about what the Bible actually says about men, women, God, the church, varieties of gifts, and varieties of leadership roles in ministry. You will note the necessity of also engaging myriad other issues as we engage this issue. You will also note the conversation is not confined within the bounds of organized religious institutions nor is it confined to mainline Christianity. It’s time to have the talk.
- Celebrity status LGBTQ activist moves from pastoring to a role as a public theologian: https://religionnews.com/2018/08/05/headed-for-a-larger-stage-nadia-bolz-weber-leaves-her-house-in-order-2/
- Dean of Duke Divinity school steps down because satisfying the demands for diversity are impossible https://religionnews.com/2018/08/03/duke-dean/
- In March a Lutheran seminary fired it’s female president because at one point in time she held the view that homosexuality was normative and marriage was designed by God to the union of a man and a woman. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/pennsylvania/articles/2018-03-15/lutheran-seminary-fires-president-over-conversion-therapy
- In June, some in the Southern Baptist Convention were lobbying Beth Moore should be that denomination’s next President. https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2018/june-web-only/case-for-electing-beth-moore-southern-baptist-sbc-president.html
Now, what do you think and why do you think what you think? Is your thinking grounded in biblical principles or what others have told you to think? Ultimately this is a conversation about the revealed will of God and submission to His authority. Which may not lead where you think. It’s time to have the talk.
Standing Up for the Vulnerable
LifeNews: Read these stories and ask yourself about the dignity of every human being and the calling of the Christian to stand up, speak up, step in and serve when others treat those who are differently-abled with contempt.
- Terminally ill teen forgives cyber bullies and speaks for life in a culture of death https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/08/02/teen-with-terminal-cancer-forgives-cyberbullies-as-he-fights-culture-of-death/
- Walmart employee paints nails of wheelchair-bound woman who was denied service in the salon http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6028799/Walmart-cashier-paints-nails-wheelchair-bound-woman-denied-service-salon.html
- Broadway actor takes to Facebook to share his outrage at audience members who shunned a family whose autistic child reacted to on-stage violence like we all should https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/broadway-star-takes-compassionate-stand-child-autism-disrupts/story?id=34031626
Look around. Who needs someone to step up, stand alongside, champion their cause, serve their needs, making the Gospel visible and tangible to a world that has lost sight of goodness, beauty and truth?
One Fun Thing
My favorite viral video of the week. NPR’s headline is the best one: Kids these days – unruly goats graze hell across suburban boise https://www.npr.org/2018/08/03/635363609/escape-goats-run-wild-in-boise?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter