Reading the Headlines through a Gospel Worldview | July 13, 2020July 13, 2020
CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told reporters, “If everyone could wear a face covering over the next 6 weeks we could drive this (coronavirus) into the ground.” I see two problems with. First, there is no way to prove him right or wrong. Second, there is no everyone in the United States. There is every one. E Pluribus Unum was the original motto of the United States to demonstrate the desire of the many states to form one nation. But the motto was replaced during the cold war by “In God we Trust,” in an effort to distinguish a God-fearing America from an atheistic communistic regime of the Soviet Union. Today we live in a selfie generation that regards the experience and story of the one as superior to the many and increasingly live among a people who describe their belief in God as “none.” Dr. Redfield might home that “everyone” could wear a face covering, but in the America every one is not likely to do what is necessary to achieve the threshold of everyone.
Christians have an opportunity to lead by example, demonstrating love of neighbor and submission to legitimate authority.
Abortion headline roundup:
- Tennessee governor Bill Lee signed one of the strictest abortion bans in the nation and a federal judge quickly blocked the measure.
- Planned Parenthood UTAH challenging that state’s 18-week abortion ban
- U.S. District Judge in Maryland concluded women can get chemical abortion (pills) without visiting a doctor
- Federal judge in Atlanta says Georgia’s heartbeat bill is unconstitutional
Religious Liberty had a big week at the Supreme Court
Identity/marriage/family confusion headline roundup:
China, China, China
- Chinese officials sanctioned by the United States for atrocities
- China forges new partnership with Iran
- China continues efforts to communize Hong Kong
Turkey converting the Hagia Sophia back into a mosque
- Erdogan has ordered the conversion
- I’m talking with a former member of the Turkish parliament on Friday on Mornings with Carmen. Tune in.