May 1, 2017
The Reconnect 5-1-17 | Sissy Goff on “13 Reasons Why” | Gospel transformation for teens with Jaquelle Crowe
The Netflix series “13 Reasons Why” is raising alarms and concerns with parents, teachers, and counselors. Many teens and kids have already binge-watched the entire series, which chronicles the suicide of a teenager and the “13 reasons” why she chose to kill herself. To inform you on this important conversation and equip you to engage with the young people in your life, we talk with Sissy Goff, Director of Child & Adolescent Counseling for Daystar Counseling Ministries.
Then we talk with a teen who believes culture has been setting drastically low spiritual expectations for her generation of teenagers. Jaquelle Crowe is the author of This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years. She shares why parents should be aware of their kids’ media habits and start conversations with them about 13 Reasons Why. Further, she has wise words about what teens want and need from parents, how to pray for teens and why the Church needs to expect more from young people today.
Related articles and resources:
Must Read Monday
On ’13 Reasons Why’
- Russell Moore: Does “13 Reasons Why” Glamorize Teen Suicide?
- Sissy Goff to parents and adults: A Counselor’s response to 13 Reasons Why
- Sissy Goff to teens: There are more than 13 Reasons Why your life matters… and what you can do about it
- Interview with Kay Warren on removing the stigma of mental health
- The National Suicide Hotline is available 24/7: 800-273-talk.
- To find out about starting a mental health ministry for churches and to find equipping resources, visit:Hope4mentalhealth.com