October 4, 2019
Religious Liberty victories in Alaska and Iowa | Susan Codone 10 things churches need to know and do in response to sexual abuse
Public theologian, Matthew Hawkins (@MTHawk) on:
- Resolution in religious liberty case involving the University of Iowa and InterVarsity in favor of the ministry’s freedom to have leadership reflect their faith.
- A women’s shelter in Anchorage Alaska is breathing a sigh of relief after efforts to prosecute them for failing to house a biological man overnight in a facility designed to serve abused women have been dropped.
Mercer University professor, Susan Codone, who courageously shared her testimony of sexual abuse by her youth pastor and senior pastor when a teenager in Alabama, wants churches to know and do 10 things.
- Acknowledge there are many people in our churches who have experienced sexual abuse.
- What might look like spiritual apathy may well be spiritual disconnected resulting from trauma.
- Make mental health a priority on par with physical health.
- Enact safe guards (Caring Well curriculum)
- Use the right words.
- Take responsibility.
- Report abusers not matter what and remove their enablers.
- Change the culture regarding mental health (depression, PTSD, suicidal ideation and attempts are all part of this conversation)
- Listen. And be willing to talk, publicly.
- Do not be afraid of us. Do not be afraid of those who have experienced sexual trauma, we are your sisters and daughters and wives and grand-daughters and nieces and moms.