Zika is “a battle for life”February 5, 2016
It is not taking long for dystopian fear about Zika to spread. Purveyors of death have descended upon vulnerable pregnant woman and economic threats to entire societies are very real. Those who have been battling in the U.S. for the unborn have been equipped to fight on this new front of the “battle for life.” Now is the time for pro-life advocates to march into the forefront and offer truth, hope, resources and love.
No sooner did my blog post earlier this week raising ethical questions about Zika than abortion export opportunists charted a course of Brazil’s coast.
Abortion advocates are also using Zika to seek to legalize abortion in largely Roman Catholic countries where the value of every life has been historically affirmed.
Remember the readiness response of U.S. airports and hospitals when the threat of travelers with Ebola was a risk? Similar measures are being instituted now in preparation for international travelers with Zika.
Travel warnings to 22 countries in the affected region are in place and there are blood donations from those who have traveled to the region are now restricted. Now that it is confirmed that Zika can be sexually contracted, travel advisories are likely to now extend beyond pregnant women.
The economic impact of Zika on affected nations is going to be significant as many of these nations rely heavily on tourism. It has also been suggested the the Olympics, scheduled to be held in Brazil, be rescheduled.
This is, as the president of Brazil described in a televised address on Wednesday, a “battle for life”.
Pro-life leaders need to get out in front of this with information and strategies about the whole range of medical and ethical concerns as well as the whole-life affirming resources that are available to those affected.
- What are the proven preventions for sexually transmitted diseases? What collaborative array of NGO’s, Christian missionaries and government workers is going to get this information out throughout the affected region?
- What are the proven preventions for mosquito born viruses? Who is going to supply and distribute the nets?
- If Women on Waves are making abortions available, who is making sonograms available? And the accompanying life-affirming counseling and community support that will be needed by those whose babies have birth defects?
- Where are the stories of children, families and adults living with microcephaly?
- In a pro-life whole-life approach, who is going to come along women, children and families who bear Zika affected babies into the world?
- In pharmaceutical research, where are the pro-life laborers who will ask the hard questions about the ethics of testing experimental vaccines on people who are vulnerable and afraid? And the associated ethics of forgoing placebo controls?
Pro-life advocacy groups will be now be tested to live into their convictions. Is this #WhyWeMarch?
Fear abounds – but perfect love casts out fear.
Truth and hope are powerful allies in the battle for life and Zika is the new front line.